Relocation specialists, or relocation management agencies, are hired by companies to help their employees move. These agencies contract with local realtors and vendors to make it happen.
An alternative is for the employee to handle all of the details themselves. They typically get an itemized reimbursement or a flat “moving allowance” from their employer. While this might sound reasonable, it’s not always the best method of handling relocations. It relies on the employee selling their home, finding an acceptable new home, neighborhood, and school in an unfamiliar city, then coordinating packing up and moving there—all while working within a desired timeframe and budget.
Instead, the company can outsource services for their relocating employees to a third-party company. These relocation specialists can help facilitate everything involved in a move, whether it’s to St. Louis, across the country, or anywhere in the world.
- Find a buyer for their current home
- Find a relocation realtor in St. Louis to help with the new home search
- Gather information about schools and communities for the employee
- Set up travel and hotels for tours of St. Louis and available homes
- Negotiate the home sale and purchase on behalf of the employee
- Arrange for temporary housing or rental units if necessary
- Coordinate storage, packing, and the move
- Handle visas and other documents needed for international moves
Moving is stressful. Moving to a new city that you know nothing about is even worse. A full-service option offered by a relocation expert gives employees the guidance they need to navigate buying a house in a brand new hometown. From the employer’s perspective, using a relocation management company will help get the employee settled into his or her new position more quickly and economically than being left to fend for himself or herself.